Wednesday October 27, 2021 | VICTORIA, BC
- GIS is the Guaranteed Income Supplement paid to seniors who are income-challenged.
- CERB is the Canada Emergency Response Benefit as available in 2020.
- CRB is the Canada Recovery Benefit for self-employed and non-EI recipients. | Locally, Alistair MacGregor, MP (Cowichan-Malahat-Langford) told Island Social Trends just before the election that he is “surprised that no one in the government could see this was going to be an issue”. On October 21, CRB was cancelled by the Liberal Government effective October 23, 2021.
- The clawback can be reversed by an Order in Cabinet, or by legislation.
- The new federal Cabinet was announced October 26, 2021 and the House of Commons will resume November 22, 2021.
LETTER SUBMITTED TO ISLAND SOCIAL TRENDS
I’m a senior about to be evicted because my GIS was taken away because of CRB.
I am hoping this will be changed when parliament resumes.
My landlord is pressuring me and the stress is unbearable.
~ Arnie Miller, Kelowna
Letters to the editor may be submitted to email@example.com
LETTER: GIS clawback continues after election (October 19, 2021)
LETTER: GIS clawback means food vs rent (September 19, 2021)
NDP candidate mojo: we fight for you (September 19, 2021)
LETTER: GIS clawback means no bus pass (September 13, 2021)
LETTER: Hurting seniors with GIS clawback (September 5, 2021)
LETTER: Retired & depending on GIS (August 19, 2021)
LETTER: Suddenly losing Guaranteed Income Supplement by receiving CERB (August 10, 2021)
LETTER: Seniors suddenly losing Guaranteed Income Supplement if they took CERB (August 7, 2021)
Seniors who took CERB now losing GIS supplement & other benefits (August 4, 2021)