Tuesday September 19, 2023 | VANCOUVER, BC [Updated 12:18 pm]
by Mary P Brooke | Island Social Trends | POLITICAL NEWS SECTION
The 2023 Union of BC Municipalities (UBCM) convention is busily underway in Vancouver this week, September 18 through 22. The theme is “Balancing Act” — recognizing an essential element in the art of governance.
The federal keynote speaker on Friday morning will be Jonathan Wilkinson, Minister of Energy and Natural Resources. He is the MP for North Vancouver. His remarks will likely be heard through a lens of what municipalities can do about climate change impacts on their communities.
For context, provincial policy sessions at the UBCM convention tomorrow include:
- Climate Action, Forest Management and Your Community
- Preparing for Future Wildfires
- Modernizing Emergency Management Regulations
Wind power & renewable energy production:
In the House of Commons earlier this year Minister Wilkinson introduced Bill C-49 as “a critical piece of legislation to enable our offshore power potential to be realized – not only to meet federal climate targets but also to achieve provincial power and economic plans in Nova Scotia and Newfoundland and Labrador”.
Perhaps Wilkinson will bring a similar message to the west coast when he speaks at UBCM on Friday, regarding wind-powered offshore renewable electricity generation and the economic benefits of production of zero carbon hydrogen.
About the delegates:
There are about 2,000 delegates at the convention this year. Delegates are mayors and councillors and regional district directors from around the province. Assessing by past years, not all of them stick around for the Friday speeches.
Premier David Eby will deliver a speech at the end of five days, on Friday morning at 11:15 am for 45 minutes.
UBCM keynote speakers:
- Wed Sept 20 – John Herdman (former head coach of Soccer Canada) 9:25 am for 1 hour
- Thurs Sept 21 – Leader of the Opposition (Kevin Falcon / BC United) – 8:35 to 8:55 am
- Fri Sept 22 – Federal Address by Jonathan Wilkinson, Minister of Energy and Natural Resources – 10:35 to 10:55 am
- Fri Sept 22 – Address by the Premier (David Eby / BC NDP) – 11:15 am to 12 noon
More to come:
Check back at IslandSocialTrends.ca through the week to see our coverage of various aspects of UBCM 2023.