Monday September 14, 2020 | NATIONAL
by Mary P Brooke, Editor | Island Social Trends
Today, Canada Post announced the issue of a set of five commemorative stamps celebrating six groundbreaking physicians and researchers: Drs. Bruce Chown, Julio Montaner, Balfour Mount, M. Vera Peters, James Till and Ernest McCulloch.
The official release date was Thursday September 10, 2020.
The contributions of those scientists to the fields of pediatric pathology, HIV/AIDS, palliative care, oncology and stem cell science have changed the practice of medicine in Canada and around the world.
- Dr. Chown, O.C., MC (1893-1986) was one of the few world leaders in eliminating rhesus (Rh) disease, once a major cause of newborn deaths.
- Research led by Dr. Montaner, O.C., O.B.C. (b. 1956) has helped transform HIV/AIDS into a manageable condition with a near-normal life expectancy and has markedly reduced HIV transmission.
- Dr. Mount, O.C., O.Q. (b. 1939), considered the father of palliative care in North America, founded the world’s first comprehensive palliative care service based in a teaching hospital.
- Dr. Peters, O.C. (1911-93) revolutionized treatment for Hodgkin lymphoma and breast cancer in an era when the work of female physician scientists was not often acknowledged.
- Dr. Till, O.C., O. Ont. (b. 1931) and Dr. McCulloch, O.C., O. Ont. (1926-2011) transformed the world’s understanding of tissue renewal by establishing the foundations of stem cell science.
Canada Post says that this postage stamp issue salutes these remarkable individuals and the many other health care professionals, scientists and technologists who have devoted their lives to creating a healthier world – including those working tirelessly to develop diagnostics, treatments and preventions to help end the current COVID-19 pandemic.
About the Stamps:
Designed by Mike Savage and Dale Kilian at Signals in Vancouver and printed by Colour Innovations, the Permanent™ domestic rate stamps are available in a booklet of 10. The stamps are also affixed to Official First Day Covers cancelled in the cities where these individuals made their notable contributions.
Buy stamps online:
Stamps and collectibles can be purchased online by individuals and businesses at canadapost.ca/shop .