Monday March 3, 2025 | VICTORIA, BC
by Mary P Brooke | Island Social Trends
For several years, the BC forestry sector has continued to grapple with tariffs or duties charged on the sale of softwood lumber to customers in the United States.
Today Premier David Eby issued a statement today that denounces the latest announcement by the United States that they intend to charge more than double the fees imposed on Canadian softwood lumber exporters.

Forests Minister Ravi Parmar chairs the BC Softwood Lumber Advisory Council the role of which is to primarily address the current challenges that BC faces with duties and tariffs.
Softwood lumber duties are already about 14%. Add another 25% on top of that starting tomorrow, March 4 (as part of a tariff imposed on all Canadian products sold into the United States), and then a further software lumber tariff this summer, and the impact will be nearly crippling for BC’s and Canada’s forestry sector.
Parmar said last month that softwood lumber duties were expected to double in August of this year. “”We could be dealing with upwards of 50% to 55% duties in our softwood lumber going into the United States,” said Parmar.
In mid-February Forests Minister Parmar went to California to see the impact of the recent urban wildfire and to engage directly with government staff and business leaders regarding BC softwood lumber.
There is a strong customer base in California and many other parts of the United States for building homes and other buildings. California is presently rebuilding the areas of Los Angeles that recently suffered from wildfires.
Premier’s statement on U.S. preliminary softwood lumber decision
March 3, 2025
Premier David Eby has issued the following statement in response to the U.S. Department of Commerce’s announcement that it intends to more than double anti-dumping duties imposed on Canadian softwood lumber exporters:
“B.C.’s iconic forestry sector and the people whose livelihoods depend on it have faced immense challenges for years and, today, are facing a new, massive threat. We strongly denounce this latest announcement by the United States. B.C. has long maintained that any and all duties on softwood lumber are unjustified, and these anti-dumping duties are based on a biased calculation – one that has been criticized by many of the United States’ trading partners.
“Today’s announcement comes amidst U.S. President Donald J. Trump’s threat to put a 25% tariff on all products exported from our country to the United States, compounding the challenges for this important industry in B.C. It also follows the U.S. President’s order this past weekend to initiate another, separate investigation of forest products, with the possibility of additional tariffs, quotas or other actions aimed at curbing imports of forest products to the U.S. These are unwarranted attacks, and not how allies treat each other. We are stronger when we work together. If the tariffs are imposed, we will stand with Team Canada to respond with strength.
“The U.S. Department of Commerce’s announcement today will impact all Canadian companies selling lumber to the United States, when and if the decision is confirmed later this summer. American homes will be more expensive to build and hardworking people in our province will bear the brunt of these unwarranted duties. Both Canadians and Americans need an end to this trade dispute. “For workers who rely on the forestry industry to support their families, or British Columbians who are anxious about other tariffs the U.S. is threatening to impose, our commitment is to fight hard to defend your jobs and the services you rely on. And no matter what comes – we will never be the 51st state.”
===== RELATED:
- Premier Eby addresses the new tariff reality (March 4, 2025)
- NEWS SECTIONS: FORESTRY | CANADA-NATIONAL | CANADA-USA | TARIFFS & TRADE