Monday August 8, 2022 | SOOKE, BC
by Mary P Brooke | Island Social Trends
The District of Sooke is seeking Paid On-Call Firefighter recruits for the class of 2023; residents are invited to apply by the September 9, 2022 deadline.
Being a firefighter means more than just fighting fires. In Sooke, crews also respond to medical emergencies, motor vehicle accidents and technical rescues. The benefits include joining a dynamic team, extensive hands-on training, and continuous learning and growth opportunities.
POC firefighters are your neighbours, your co-workers and your friends. They are men and women in all walks of life that live close to you and respond 24/7 when paged to deal with the emergencies in our community. They are people of all ages, races and backgrounds. They are people who choose to give to our community.
Recruit info session:
Anyone considering serving their community as a firefighter can learn more about the recruitment process and what the job entails by contacting Sooke Fire Services at 250.642.5422 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
A Recruit Information Session will be hosted on Tuesday, August 23 at 7:00pm – at Sooke Fire Station 1, located at 2205 Otter Point Road, to answer questions and provide further information on the recruiting process and Paid On-Call (POC) firefighter experience.
Training runs November to May:
The District of Sooke recruits POC firefighters annually for the POC Recruit Training Program.
The 2022/2023 program will run from November 2022 to May 2023. POC firefighter applications for the 2022/2023 POC Recruit Training Program are being accepted until September 9, 2022 for the 2022/2023 POC Recruit Training Program.
Minimum qualifications for Paid On-Call Firefighters
- Resident of the District of Sooke
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- Drivers’ license; access to a vehicle, and a driving record that demonstrates safe and responsible driving
- At least 18 years of age
- Police Information Check clearance
Beneficial attributes for your application:
- Class 1, 2, 3, or 4 driver’s license
- Air brake endorsement
- Previous fire or emergency services experience
- Fire-related courses, such as NFPA 1001 Level II, NFPA 1002, NFPA 472, NFPA 1051
- Post-secondary education
- Technical or trade certificate
- First aid training
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Ability to work well as a team player
- Application Form completed in full and submitted by the September 9, 2022 deadline
- Copies of education certificates
- Drivers Abstract from ICBC
- Copy of Drivers License (front/back)
- Police Information Check
- Resume and Cover Letter
POC firefighters are paid an hourly wage when called to respond to emergencies and to attend weekly training sessions.
===== Learn more:
- District of Sooke – Recruitment Information Page
- Click here to complete and submit the application form
- Watch the recruiting video here: https://youtu.be/aBpJaOkSNRg