Tuesday January 18, 2022 | VICTORIA, BC
by Mary P Brooke, B.Sc. | Island Social Trends
As the highly transmissible Omicron variant of COVID-19 continues to spread rapidly in communities and workplaces, today Island Health has declared COVID-19 outbreaks at five long-term care homes.
Two of the impacted long-term care facilities are in Victoria, and one is in Sidney (both in the south Vancouver Island area).
The case numbers reported here by Island Health are cases that have been confirmed via PCR testing or followup from Island Health’s case and contact management team.
Two long-term care homes in Victoria:
Veterans Memorial Lodge long-term care home in Victoria
- Four resident cases have been related to this outbreak. The outbreak declaration is limited to units B3 and A2 at this time.
- Veterans Memorial Lodge is owned and operated by Broadmead Care Society.
- Location: 4579 Chatteron Way
Sunset Lodge long-term care home
- Eleven resident cases have been identified as related to this outbreak. The outbreak declaration is only limited to the 3rd floor at this time.
- Sunset Lodge is owned and operated by the Salvation Army.
- Location: 952 Arm St
One Long-Term Care Home in Sidney:
Sidney Care Home
- One resident has case has been identified as related to this outbreak.
- Sidney Care Home is owned and operated by The Care Group (based out of Coquitlam, BC).
- Location: 9888 Fifth St
Outbreak response protocols:
In general, the following outbreak response protocols have been implemented by Island Health at the sites:
- No admissions or transfers to affected units;
- Staff movement will be limited wherever possible;
- No congregate dining or group activities for residents of affected units;
- Enhanced cleaning and infection control measures will continue;
- Residents, families and staff are being notified;
- Enhanced screening of all staff and residents for symptoms;
- COVID-19 testing as determined by the Medical Health Officer and Infection Prevention and Control.
During this time, Island Health will support the sites to take any further actions required and answer questions from staff, residents and family members.
Island Health has implemented comprehensive strategies to prevent and respond to COVID-19 in long-term care, acute care, assisted living and licensed care facilities. For more information about COVID-19, see www.islandhealth.ca/covid19
Victoria COVID outbreaks: 3 long-term care, 1 assisted living, 1 hospital (January 15, 2022)
Omicron: 5th COVID variant is going strong (January 8, 2022)
COVID outbreaks at 5 long-term care homes (January 5, 2022 | Updated January 15, 2022)
COVID rolls into 2022: tough couple of weeks ahead (January 4, 2022)
BC teachers want N95 masks & booster priority (January 4, 2022)
Island Health looks ahead into 2022 (January 4, 2022)