Island Social Trends
(previously West Shore Voice News)
Professional news service serving the south Vancouver Island region, with BC and national insights.
- DAILY NEWS PORTAL (this website): Daily news about local communities and beyond, with a socioeconomic perspective. News by region including politics, economy, health (including COVID-19), education (local focus on SD62, with a growing focus on SD61, SD63, SD79), technology and things that affect the success of our daily lives. Analysis and insights on stuff that matters, forging the way forward to the new normal. Articles posted at www.islandsocialtrends.com| (WSVN) ISSN 2368-9382
- ENEWS (by paid subscription): Receive a summary of all links/articles as posted on this website, with additional editorial insights, links, leads and calendar notes. How to Subscribe to Island Social Trends (premium and economy levels, to suit all budgets; individual and corporate/group rates).
- PRINT EDITION (only for seniors without computers, during COVID-19). Limited print summary available by postal mail for people without Internet access. By paid subscription. To order by phone: 250-217-5821.
- We are motivated by how journalism supports community growth and development as appropriate for a robust and sustainable economy.
- We aim to inform readers with information intended to help people make up their own minds about the issues of the day.
- We support a knowledge-based economy. Making decisions based on facts and information, socioeconomics, science, and with perspectives from as many angles as possible allows for more tolerance and prosperity for everyone.
- We hope to make a meaningful contribution to your day, your perspective, and your success in life through our offering of critical thought and sensitive analysis.
- We are willing to say — with responsible analysis — what you won’t find anywhere else. Subscriber get additional news insights on top of what readers find free online.
- We’re an independent media operation. Independently owned and operated as a business registered in BC.
- We follow professional standards of the Canadian journalism industry. We write in Plain English and follow the practice of Accessible Writing. Our published articles adhere to Canadian Press Style Guide (with custom adaptations for style and brevity).
- We provide a community service through journalism which informs the community about itself. As such, we offer special discounts for non-profits and special causes.
- Our revenues are generated entirely from subscriptions to our ENews edition and advertising (within this web portal and in the ENews Digest to subscribers).
- Why subscribe or advertise? In addition to support the process of independent news, please consider supporting this venture with a subscription for staying current with our coverage, and/or ad placements that foster good exposure for your business, organization or campaign.
Our content is original journalism. Where we use news releases as supporting documentation, that will be indicated. For content we welcome opinion-editorials. Freelance writers and photographers may contact us for opportunities.
- Greater Victoria Regional Coverage: Covering the news of the south Vancouver Island area. Our head office is in Langford, our news is west shore outward, starting with Langford, Colwood, Sooke, Metchosin, Highlands and View Royal. Growing into more coverage of Victoria, Saanich, Esquimalt and Oak Bay.
- West Shore region: Operating from Langford, we see the pulse here.
- Sooke region: Specialized legacy coverage of the Sooke region (where this publication once operated from, 2008-2014), including Juan de Fuca.
- Saanich peninsula news as we can (out to and including Sidney).
- Cowichan-Duncan Regional Coverage: footprint of the Cowichan-Malahat-Langford federal riding, reaching up to Nanaimo.
- School board coverage: Insightful coverage of school boards in the region: SD61 (Greater Victoria), SD62 (Langford, Colwood, Sooke), SD63 (Saanich), and SD79 (Cowichan-Duncan).
- BC-wide and national news: We address the broader issues as they impact the Greater Victoria area, west shore communities, and South Vancouver Island.
- Freedom of expression: This is a Canadian publication of thoughtful political, economic, and cultural ideas from a range of perspectives. As to political perspective, we don’t fit a box of left/right/centre. Thoughts are progressive but also practical. It’s about living wisely and creatively on this planet.
- Mentoring the next generation. For a few years now we have taken part in the Canada Summer Jobs program (which provides training to new young employees). As well, starting in 2021, we are offering a Journalism Scholarship to a graduating student at Royal Bay Secondary School in Colwood (to be a contributing sponsor, write to firstname.lastname@example.org ).
- Publishing: All formats and articles published by Brookeline Publishing House Inc in Langford, BC. Website version powered by WordPress.
- Creative team: Publisher & Editor: Mary P Brooke, B.Sc., Cert PR; Catherine Brooke (science consultant); Chelsea Kirkpatrick (photojournalist); Tom Myrick (photography); Les Oberg (server manager); Cassia Powell (graphic designer); Keith Sketchley (critic); John Twigg (occasional contributor).
Thank you for subscribing. Journalism is made possible by the function of a thriving publishing industry. Your subscriptions and advertisements help us ‘keep the lights on’ and help enable the flow of news going out to everyone as a component of democracy.
This page last updated March 29, 2021